A California tourist who holidayed in Yosemite National Park in June has died after contracting hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. The man stayed at the Curry Village area in the park. A woman who stayed in a nearby tent in the village has also fallen ill, according to park officials.
Whilst it cannot be explicitly confirmed that both parties contracted hantavirus within the park, state health officials have said it is the most likely scenario. Tests conducted by the Centres for Disease Control found the virus in the faeces of deer mice trapped in Curry Village.